Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where has Lyn been and what is she up to now?

I haven't posted for months. I apologize. My guilt level is high. In January I had emergency surgery and all my plans for 2009 took a backseat. In the past month or so I've started back into family history research on a more than "here and there" level.

My most recent "Monroe snooping" is attempting to trace the descendants of James A. Monroe (s/o Johnson Monroe and Jane Ann McClanahan) m. ~1854 Elizabeth Stevens (d/o Job Stevens and Martha _____). James A. was born in Kentucky and Elizabeth in Indiana. All their children (Frances Emeline, David Johnson, Alexander T, John B, Elizabeth, James M, Jobe D., George Sylvester, Ida M and Lou) are born in Wayne Co., Illinois.

Chris Wilkins is also working on these lines and together we are making progress. There are still avenues to explore but for now we are both totally stumped on what happened to Alexander T. Monroe and his wife after the 1900 Wayne Co, IL. census. His wife in 1900 is Elizabeth Garrison. They married in Wayne Co. IL in January 1900. Elizabeth had a previous marriage to a Mr. Osborn and I believe the two children listed as Monroe's on Alexander's 1900 census are actually Osborns. From cemetery records I believe Alexander T. had a first marriage to Malinda C. ____. Her stone in Cincinnati Cemetery in Wayne Co., IL gives 22 Oct 1867 - 15 Feb 1898 and says "wife of A. T. Monroe". I have not yet confirmed this marriage or Malinda's maiden name. I do not know if Malinda and Alexander had children. They may have. This is one of those times one really, really wants to see the 1890 census that burned.

If anyone reading this blog knows anything about James A. Monroe m. Elizabeth Stevens and their descendants I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

No comments: